In response to the alarming increase of newly HIV diagnosed each day, 30 maritime schools across the country held a national consultation meeting to further intensity the education campaign on HIV and AIDS.
The consultation meeting that was held last March 29, 2017 at the social hall of the University of the Philippines – Philippine General Hospital (UP-PGH) in Manila and was widely attended by 30 Maritime Higher Education Institutions (MHEIs) and staff of the Positive Action Foundation Philippines, Inc. (PAFPI). The consultation meeting identified the effective ways on how to educate the future seafarers about HIV and AIDS. Thus, the participants agreed to incorporate the following in the curriculum.
Society and Culture with Family Planning, STI and AIDS Prevention
To further deepen the understanding of the students, the participants proposed to improve the context and content of teaching of Society and Culture with Family Planning, STI, HIV and AIDS Prevention. The students will be treated to lectures that will hone their understanding about the dynamics of Filipino society and its culture and its influence to the Filipinos views on family planning and prevention of STI, HIV and AIDS.
Scientific Platform for the First National Tripartite Conference
To further provide a comprehensive and scientific approach to teaching HIV and AIDS, MHEI participants proposed the following topics for the National Tripartite Conference, an APHEDA project. The details of the topics were as follow:
1. Society and Culture with Family Planning, STI, HIV and AIDS Prevention
2. Skills building session on teaching Sex, Sexuality and Sexual Health (UP Manila)
3. Skills building session on Gender and Gender Health (UP Manila)
4. Session on multidisciplinary teaching (UP Manila)
5. Skills building on HIV and AIDS Counseling (DOH)
6. Wellness and Health
7. Addiction Studies
8. Skills building on Health research “HIV, AIDS, Sex, and Sexuality” (UP Manila)
9. Skills building on technical writing for publication (UP Manila)
10. Perspective of seafarers on pre and post-employment medical examination
11. Evaluation of Pre-Departure Orientation Seminar (PDOS) – “HIV/AIDS Awareness”
12. Linkage of Mental Health to HIV/AIDS
13. Partnership of Maritime Schools with PAFPI for HIV+ Seafarers
14. Role of School Administrators on HIV and AIDS Education
The participants from Mariners Polytechnic Colleges Foundation, Iloilo State College of Fisheries, Our Lady of Fatima University, Surigao Education Center, MAAP, Positibong Marino Philippines, Inc.(PMPI), Midway Maritime Foundation Cabanatuan City, Malayan College of Laguna, PMMS, AIMS, FEATI, PhilCST- Calasiao, Pangasinan, Dr. Carlos Lanting College, NTMA NYK-TDG, Inter-Global College Foundation, Inc., LPU Batangas, Lyceum-Northwestern University, Central Luzon College of Science and Technology, CT University-Cebu, Malayan College Laguna, and UP Manila aim to ensure that the curriculum will provide students ample education and understanding to better protect themselves from HIV and AIDS. Due to the limited funding support by APHEDA and Pasasalamat Fund for the next grant period, PAFPI is currently looking for others alternative funding donor/agency/ies that will support the activity.